Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2011

Chicken Chick Pea Stew

Here's one I kind of put together by accident. I wanted to make one chicken dish but didn't have all the ingredients (curry was one of them-I'm a little afraid of curry...I think it will seep out of my pores)so I just took a few of the ingredients I had combined with some other things I had in the pantry. The results were absolutely delicious. If I had to put an ethnicity on it I might call it Morroccan...or at the very least Middle Eastern. So enjoy!! For this I used skinless thighs. Usually I use boneless as well, but I cooked it for quite some time and didn't want the chicken to shred.

6 skinless chicken thighs
1 can stewed tomatoes 15 oz
1 can tomato sauce 8 oz
1 can chick peas 15 oz
1 large onion sliced
1/3 cup of raisins (I used regular raisins because that is what I had in the house)
3-4 cloves garlic chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
olive oil (to saute onions and garlic)

Saute onion in olive oil, when almost cooked through add garlic and continue to saute without browning garlic. Remove onion mixture from pan and brown chicken thighs on both sides. Once chicken is browned, put back in pan and add onion mixture. Add all other ingredients. Rinse chick peas before adding to pot. Cook on med. low for about an hour. If sauce gets too thick add about a 1/4 cup of water. Serve over basmati (I use basmati) rice or cous cous.

No comments:

Post a Comment