Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chicken Wok this Waaaayyyyy!!!

I am about to hit onto a stir fry kick because I love my newly discovered Asian market and I remembered I had a wok. You all have one. You all registered for one when you got married. Its an awesome tool because its just one pan and your cook time is minutes. MINUTES. If you don't have a wok (I doubt it) go buy one or use a large skillet for this recipe, but nothing beats a wok. The way the thing heats is just unparalleled. Wok this way....

1lb Chicken breast (I use tenders because it cuts down on my cutting time a bit) cut into bite sized pieces
2 large Carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup of Baby Bok Choy (you can use spinach, snow peas, just something green)
1 Quarter of a Yellow Bell Pepper sliced into bite sized strips
1 Quarter of a large Yellow Onion sliced into bite sized strips
2 Garlic cloves sliced
1 inch fresh Ginger, peeled and sliced
1/2 TSP Chinese Five Spice
Salt and Pepper
2 Dashes Soy Sauce
1/3 + 3TBS Chicken Stock
3 TBS Corn Starch
3TBS high smoke point oil (I used about 1.5TBS of Toasted Sesame and 1.5TBS Corn -the Toasted Sesame gives a very nice flavor. You can use Peanut, Safflower, Corn, Canola, Vegetable, Rapeseed..high smoke point..)

Season Chicken with Salt, Pepper and Chinese Five Spice
In a small bowl, mix together 3TBS cold Chicken Stock with 3TBS Corn Starch until fully incorporated (this mixture is called 'slurry') and leave aside.
Place Oil in Wok, add Garlic and Ginger and turn heat up to Medium-HI.
When the garlic and ginger start to sizzle, swirl the oil around the pan and up the sides and add the seasoned Chicken.
Let the chicken seal about 40 seconds and toss around, let cook another 40 seconds and toss, another 40 seconds and toss. (When I say 'toss' I don't mean throw the meat around in the pan, I mean stir it up like its a salad with tongs.)
Move the chicken up the sides of the wok and add all the remaining vegetables into the middle.
Let them cook for about a minute.
Add the Soy Sauce, stir around and cook for about 30 seconds.
Add Chicken stock and cook for 4 minutes stirring occasionally (every minute or so).
Add slurry and cook for one or two minutes more while stirring to incorporate the slurry -you'll see it get so nice and thick like the ultimate gravy coating all over everything and when it looks delicious like that, its DONE. Serve it (with rice or noodles if desired).

3 comments:

  1. See? this I would eat! I love my wok. I use it often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this made me drool! yummy! I DID have a wok but it got all gross at the bottom, had to throw it out.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! I increased the soy sauce and chicken stock to my liking, and decreased the corn starch, but followed the recipe exact otherwise. I thought that the anise in the Chinese five spice might be overpowering, but it wasn't. The chicken ended up perfectly seasoned. Yum, writing this makes me want to eat my leftovers.

    ReplyDelete