Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hungarian Chicken

I call this Hungarian Chicken because of the paprika, caraway and sour cream. When I was in Budapest I loved the food and I often ate these sort of stewie, raguey dishes, which often had those three ingredients. I used quite of bit of sour cream this time around (guess I need the comfort) but it is usually a touch more red than this.

8 Chicken Thighs (I like having the skin and the bone, you can do skinless and/or boneless) washed and dried
2 handfuls Cremini Mushrooms (Baby Bellas) sliced
1 ginormous Yellow Onion diced
3 cloves Garlic diced
Sweet Paprika
Hot Paprika
1 TSP Caraway Seeds
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Chicken Stock
Sour Cream
Flour

Season chicken all over with Salt, Pepper, Sweet Paprika and Hot Paprika -how much? Its really to your taste. I sprinkle it all until its looking like it will taste good to me. I like a lot of seasoning, so that chicken is looking plenty red but with more sweet than hot paprika because I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to fire in my mouth, maybe you like that endorphin rush, do what makes sense. Trust your tastes, or just experiment, its only one meal, if you don't like it, adjust it next time around.

Sprinkle chicken with flour.
Heat oil over medium heat in an enameled, cast iron pot (that's what I use, just make it a big pot).
Brown chicken on both sides, (don't cook through) in batches, placing browned pieces in a bowl as you go along.
Once done browning, add onions and mushrooms. Let this mixture cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms are becoming fragrant, stirring occasionally.
Add Garlic, Caraway seeds, 1 TBS of whatever combination of sweet and hot paprikas you like (half and half of each, all sweet, all hot, 70/30? 25/75? its your call to your taste) more salt and pepper
Stir around once or twice for about 30 seconds.
Sprinkle about a TBS of flour and mix well until it gets sticky
Add some stock and scrape up the browned bits from the bottom.
Add the chicken back in along with accumulated juices, nestling it in the onion/mushroom mixture.
Add stock until it reaches halfway up the chicken
Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer.
Let simmer for 20-25 minutes.
Take off lid, using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the chicken thighs to a bowl.
Whack up the heat.
Put 1/2 cup sour cream in a small bowl and scoop out some of the sauce from the pot and add it to the bowl mixing thoroughly (this is called "tempering" the sour cream -it brings the sour cream up to temperature so it doesn't break up upon hitting that hot sauce).
Add the tempered sour cream to the pot and mix quickly.
Add the chicken back and stir to coat.

Serve with spaetzle, mashed potatoes, smashed potatoes, egg noodles, whatever floats your boat. I did polenta here because I had the desire. Its not Hungarian, but I'll call it Hungaspangarianish Fusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment