Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Fish Pie



Fish pie is such a nice comfort food. If you want it uber-comforting, by all means, use more butter and cream than I've used here, it will surely be better. I'm trying to be a little healthier these days so I've cut the fat a bit. But really -you add butter, cream, bacon or deep fry anything and its going to be better!! This has a lot of comfort and half the guilt!


3 big fat fillets of Haddock (or cod or scrod or any nice, firm, fleshy fish)

3 large russet Potatoes peeled and cut into chunks

1 large Leek sliced into rings and rinsed

1 medium yellow Onion diced

2 handfuls of baby Spinach leaves (or chopped big boy spinach leaves)

1/2 bunch Parsley chopped

1 pint Heavy Cream

1 cup plain Yogurt (there or there abouts)

Salt and Pepper


Set oven to 350*

Season Fish with Salt and Pepper.

Place Fish in a baking dish that will hold it nice and snug (overlapping is okay -in fact, its good).

Place Onions, Leeks and Heavy Cream in a small pot over medium flame and keep an eye on it, stirring occassionally until it thickens up a bit (about 5 minutes or so)

Season this mixture with Salt and Pepper and pour it over the fish evenly (that already looks nice now doesn't it?)

Place the dish in the oven and let that cook for about 15-20 minutes, when you smell it, its done.

While that's doing its thing, boil the potatoes until they are to the mashing consistency.

Drain, mash mix in Yogurt to desired creaminess. (Of course, this is where you can add butter, cream, milk, whatever it is you like to creamify your mashed potatoes, I'm trying to be healthy, thus the yogurt. If you don't want yogurt, that fine, it will be divine with butter and cream!)

Add Salt and Pepper and 1/2 the Parsley to the mashed potatoes

When fish is done, remove dish from oven and add the spinach leaves and remaining parsley, mix it all around in there. This part can get messy trying to get the raw spinach leaves to meld in with the fish, just be patient.

Spread mashed potatoes over the mixture in the dish and place back in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the top is browned. (I whacked up the broiler on mine because of time constraints-ps-never do with Pyrex even though I do all the time, I like to live dangerously but do as I say not as I do!)


Once browned, take out and let settle for about 8-10 minutes. Serve!


I like this dish because I can do it in parts thoughout the day to fit in with the whims of my children. I only have to add to cooking times appropriately...

1 comment:

  1. Oh and PS, this is "over-browned" in the picture. Don't let yours get this browned. Its not ruined by any means, but it just doesn't look very nice. I almost didn't post this because of it, but thought I'd just add the disclaimer at the end because its a good recipe.

    ReplyDelete