Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Lentil,Veggie and Pasta Soup

I just made this on Saturday and the kids loved it and so did Michael. I am a huge soup fan. I could eat it everyday. I almost never work from a recipe and if I do I am always improvising and modifying and so it turns out that the final product is totally different than the recipe I was using. This has always been my problem. I keep saying that I am going to try the recipe the way it is written first and then make the adjustments I find necessary. I have yet to succeed at that. Also, I don't ever measure anything so I am going to write these recipes as I think the amounts should be.

1 lb lentils- washed
6 carrots-peeled and sliced
6 stalks celery- washed and sliced
1 large zucchini-quartered and diced
1 large yellow squash-quartered and diced
1 large onion- sliced
5 cloves garlic-chopped
olive oil - enough to cover the bottom of your soup pot
1tsp thyme
salt and pepper
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
3 bay leaves
1 1/2 cups of uncooked ditalini pasta
12-14 cups of water or chicken broth (I use Knorr powdered chicken bullion added to the water-I use less than required because you're getting so much flavor from the veggies)


Cook all the veggies in the olive oil about 5 minutes. Put in the washed lentils and the water and bullion. Add the tomatoes and bring to a brisk simmer. Turn the heat to low and cover. Simmer for at least an hour or until the lentils are just about cooked. Pour in the ditalini and continue to cook until the macaroni is cooked. Serve with grated cheese and nice crusty bread.

I use a lot of water/broth because the pasta soaks up the liquid.
Enjoy!!

1 comment: